How it became
Webster was named after James Perry Webster, who came to Day County from Ohio by way of Minnesota in the spring of 1880.
The railroad reached the area in 1880, but Webster was not platted as a town until the following June.
There were three settlers (or families of settlers) at that time - J.P. Webster, Ed Ruggles and J.C. Bush.
Ed Smail was the first man to decide on building and erected part of the Fiksdal store corner.
The old part of the Balzer House (Klein Hotel corner) was finished immediately after Norton and Smail finished their storeroom. Smail was mayor of Webster for 10 years being elected to five successive terms. It was during his administration that the city made great advancements as light, water and sewer systems were installed.
Webster was incorporated as a village in March 1885 and as a city in April 1895.
Today, Webster is the largest town in Day County and the county seat.
City of Webster
800 Main St. Webster, SD 57274
Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Check us out at webstersd.com
Click here to read about other Day County towns
Reporter & Farmer Important Links
Since 2001 Dewangen, Germany, and Webster, SD have been friendship cities, sharing cultures, students, and friendship. Come check it out!
This site has all the contact information for all the newspapers in South Dakota for easy reference
Subscription to Reporter & Farmer
Advertise in Reporter & Farmer
Like us on Facebook