Early in 1880 the railroad reached Station 50, and the crew founded the town which was first known as Blue Lake. A post office bearing this name opened on Oct. 3, 1881.
On Sept. 25, 1885, the name of the Blue Lake post office was changed to Waubay. This action created great confusion since Day County's first post office, spelled "Wahbay," opened Nov. 3, 1879. This post office was located six miles northwest of Waubay. The railroad insisted on naming the town Waubay. So from 1881 until the close of the Wahbay post office in 1885, there was great confusion concerning mail.
Waubay's site was platted on Nov. 18, 1880 and was incorporated as a village in 1893 and as a city in 1920, making Waubay the oldest city in Day County.
Like many of the nearby lakes, Waubay bears the Sioux Indian name meaning "where the wild fowl build their nests."
The first dwelling was built by Homer Fritts and the first store was built by Ralph Chapman.
Waubay has activities year round. Summer Fun Days occur around the fourth of July followed by Frontier Days in August and the Band Festival in September.
Funfest is a fund raiser for the Waubay City Library. The day is a great way to spend time with family along with helping the library raise money. This event usually includes a kid-powered parade, climbing wall, games for kids, country bingo, anything-goes sale, a mock "price is right," concessions and ends with fireworks.
City of Waubay
45 N Main St
911 or 947-4100
911 or 947-4299