The town of Andover is located in what is known as “The Valley” with the Coteau Hills to the south and east. Before it was settled, it was unbroken prairie with a beautiful expanse of grass and flowers with few stones to speak of, and a few winding creeks which furnished water for the herds of antelope and buffalo that roam-ed the countryside.
Andover came into existence in 1880, as Station 80, Greenley County, Dakota Territory but was renamed when the site was platted in 1881.
Andover has two possible explanations as to how it got its name. The more probable one being that the superintendent of the Milwaukee Railroad, Mr. Prior, named it after Andover, MA.
Another version says that the name was given by foreign railroad workers, who, after building through the rugged Coteau Hills, were relieved when they reached the open plains. One of them exclaimed, “End over.” Later, the story adds the two words were combined into one and the E was changed to A.
Andover owed much of its development to the railroad which began running regularly in June or July of 1881. It brought building supplies, coal and special tar paper for claim shacks.
The depot was the first wooden building in town. It was completed in 1881 and was also used as the post office and worship center. Miss Ellen Bryant was the first postmistress.
In 1885, the Milwaukee Road opened the north branch from Andover to Harlem, ND, and made its first round trip in 1887. Andover was incorporated in 1886, the same year the Methodist church was built. At this time, Andover was steadily growing with a population of 500.
By 1912, there was just about every type of business in Andover - elevators, hotels, general stores, banks and a creamery.
City of Andover
207 S Main St